The numbers continue to prove that, now more than ever, Kenyan viewers are interested in watching high quality local content.
Showmax has invested in the Kenyan film and TV industry, building an extensive catalogue of genre-diverse and audience-favourite TV shows and movies.
According to the latest viewing statistics 7 out of 10 most-watched titles on the platform in 2022 were local, with one Nigerian and two international titles.
Below, in alphabetical order, are 10 most-watched titles in Kenya in 2022:
- Baba Twins - A coming-of-age comedy drama and Showmax’s first Original film in Kenya.
- County 49 - A political thriller series set in the fictional Bwatele County, Kenya’s 49th county.
- Crime and Justice S2 - A police procedural and legal drama that follows ripped-from-the-headlines investigations by an elite police team.
- House of the Dragon - HBO’s smash hit prequel to Game of Thrones that traces the war for succession within House Targaryen.
- Igiza - A thriller series set in the wash wash world and the fashion industry in Nairobi
- Kyallo Kulture - A reality series that dives into the personal lives of Betty Kyallo and her two sisters.
- Njoro wa Uba - A comedy-drama series that follows the daily escapades of taxi driver Njoro.
- Single Kiasi S1 - A drama series that follows the ups and downs of dating in Nairobi.
- The Real Housewives of Lagos - The first Nigerian edition of the hit international franchise.
- Wrath of Man - Starring Jason Statham, this Guy Ritchie movie was up for Best Action Movie at the 2022 Critics Choice Super Awards.