The Riverside drive attack is one many will not forget soon, especially for one Wsylovigns Meli who lost her boyfriend to the attack that claimed 21 lives.
Marcus Rodriguez died during the attack at Dusit D2 hotel on Tuesday, 15th January, leaving his girlfriend heartbroken and traumatized.
Here are things you did not know about Rodriguez.
1. He had come to meet his girlfriend
Marcus Rodriguez, a 36-year-old man had come to meet his Kenyan bae Wsylovigns Meli. The two met in 2017.
2. He had initially planned on staying at a Karen hotel before his girlfriend Meli convinced him that DusitD2 is closer to the CBD, thus convenient for her.
“I regret making him change his mind. He could be alive now if I had not put my foot down on having him stay at dusitD2,” Ms Meli told The Standard at the Chiromo mortuary yesterday, fighting back tears.
“I insisted on the hotel because it was easily accessible for me from town. I checked him in on Sunday night,” Meli said.
3. He had planned to go swimming
With all the January heat, he had planned to go out for a swim before his girlfriend convinced him that going out for a swim alone is not so much fun.
He reluctantly held back.
In an interview with a local newspaper, the girlfriend says she regrets that decision.
“Maybe if he went out swimming as he wanted, he could be alive,” said Meli.
4. His girlfriend is a third-year student at Kenyatta University.
5. The two had planned on going to Naivasha this weekend, but that will never be as he is no more, a life cut short so soon.
6. Meli was in class as the Dusit attack was going on thus she had her phone on silent mode and did not know that her man was under attack, she found 8 missed calls from Marcus.
7. On returning a call she talked to her boyfriend Marcus for 4 minutes before he hung up. She could hear gunshots in the back ground, and he died.
‘He did not get to say goodbye’, Meli cried.