Family cries for justice over UN employee who murdered their daughter

The family of a woman allegedly murdered by her husband who two years ago in a hotel in Gilgil is crying foul over the case that has taken too long to start.

The family of Rhoda Mumbi Mutua now wants the CJ to intervene and have the case that is currently under the High Court in Naivasha hastened.

Nicholas Cheruiyot Koskei who works with the United Nations (UN) has been accused of murdering his wife on the 8th of July 2017 in Jacaranda Lake Elementaita hotel in Gilgil.

This came even as the High Court set three days to listen to the case where Cheruiyot is alleged to have killed the mother of two boys before dumping the body in a bath tub.

Cheruiyot and the wife Mumbi had retreated to the lodge to solve their marital problems when the latter was found dead in the bath tab before police arrested him for the murder.

A relative who declined to be named said that the case had been postponed so many times leaving them in fear as the accused was also out on bond.

Police probe murder of High court clerk attached to Justice Hellen Omondi

She said that nearly two years after Mumbi was found murdered, the investigating officers had continued to drag the case by seeking adjournment on flimsy grounds.

“The suspect in the cases has been walking scot-free and chest thumping as we the family of Mumbi continue to suffer,” she said.

However, High Court Judge Richard Mwongo set three days when the case will be heard following a pre-trial held at the Naivasha law courts.

The judge said that the case will be heard between the 2nd and 4th of July as the prosecution waited for cyber crime report from the investigating officers.

Read more

ICC hands Bashir case to UN after Sudan fails to arrest leader

Sudan has failed to arrest its long-time leader Omar al-Bashir for genocide and war crimes, the International Criminal Court ruled on Monday, referring the matter back to the UN Security Council.

Bashir, 71, is wanted by The Hague-based ICC, the world’s only permanent court, for his role in the western Sudanese region of Darfur where insurgents rose up in 2003 in an ongoing conflict that has left more than 300,000 people dead.

He faces five counts of crimes against humanity including murder and torture, three of genocide and two of war crimes including attacking a civilian population.

The ICC in 2009 and 2010 issued two warrants against Bashir, but he continues to travel across the African continent despite a legal obligation by ICC member states to arrest him.

Sudan itself has not signed up to the ICC’s founding treaty, the Rome Statute, but has been a member of the United Nations since 1956.

The Security Council referred the Darfur situation to the ICC for investigation in a 2005 resolution and Sudan, as a UN member is therefore obliged to cooperate, the tribunal judges said.

“The chamber considers that Sudan not only disregarded the 2009 and 2010 requests related to its obligations to cooperate in the arrest and surrender of Omar al-Bashir,” they said.

Khartoum also failed to inform the ICC why it could not carry out the arrest.

“This course of action calls upon the Security Council to take the necessary measures they deem appropriate,” the judges said.

The judges however warned that if no action was taken, the Security Council would never achieve its goal to end impunity for the world’s worst suspected offenders.

Bashir, who is gearing up for an April election expected to return him to office, last month accused the ICC and Western powers of “hounding” him.

He claimed the ICC was part “of the tools used to destabilise Sudan”, and said there never was a genocide in Darfur.

Apart from Bashir, four other Sudanese including a rebel leader is also on the ICC wanted list.

Photo Credits : AFP

UN condemns ‘heinous’ Mali attack on peacekeepers

The UN Security Council strongly condemned the “heinous” attack on a UN peacekeeping base in northern Mali on Sunday, warning that those responsible will be held accountable.

A Chadian peacekeeper and two children died when the attackers fired more than 30 rockets at the barracks in the northern city of Kidal in the early morning hours.

In a statement by its 15 members, the Security Council called on the Malian government to swiftly investigate and bring the perpetrators to justice.

The council “stressed that those responsible for the attack shall be held accountable,” and underlined that attacks targeting peacekeepers may constitute war crimes.

The top UN body called on all sides to refrain from actions that could jeopardize peace efforts and reiterated a threat to impose sanctions against those who resume hostilities in Mali.

The attack on the UN base in Kidal came a day after a masked gunman burst into a Bamako nightclub, opened fire and threw grenades, killing five people, including a French national and a Belgian.

It also came a week after the Malian government signed an agreement with some northern armed groups to hand over more authority to northern Mali in a bid to stabilize the region.

The main Tuareg alliance, known as the Coordination, did not sign on to the deal and asked for more time to consult with its grassroot members.

The Security Council and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon had both urged the Tuaregs to sign on to the deal, arguing that it represented an important opportunity for peace.

With more than 30 peacekeepers killed since UN troops were deployed in northern Mali in 2013, MINUSMA is considered the UN’s most dangerous mission, with Chad suffering heavy losses.

Islamist militants seized control of northern Mali for more than nine months until a French-led military intervention in 2013 that partly drove them from the region.

Photo Credits : AFP

UN-AU mission in Sudan’s Darfur cuts 770 jobs

The UN-AU mission in Sudan’s Darfur (UNAMID) will cut 770 civilian jobs, it said on Saturday, as it faces pressure from Khartoum to withdraw from the war-torn western region.

“The total number of posts cut in real terms is 770,” UNAMID said, adding that both Sudanese and international staff will be affected.

The decision was made after a strategic review of the mission, the statement said, and was unconnected to calls from Sudan’s government for the mission to leave.

UNAMID deployed in 2007 to protect civilians and secure humanitarian aid, four years after ethnic insurgents rebelled against Khartoum, complaining of marginalisation.

It currently employs 4,110 civilians and also has around 15,000 military and police peacekeepers in the region.

UNAMID’s relations with the government have deteriorated over its attempts to investigate a report that Sudanese troops raped more than 200 women and girls in a Darfur village last October.

The government slammed the mission as weak and demanded that it prepare an exit strategy.

A first round of talks on its departure ended on February 19, and more are scheduled for March.

Some 300,000 people have been killed and more than two million displaced by the fighting in Darfur, the UN says.

Photo Credits : AFP

UN reports significant drop in Ebola cases

The deadly Ebola epidemic is slowing significantly in the three west African countries at its epicentre, the World Health Organization said Wednesday, adding that those countries were now adequately equipped to stem the tide.

The UN health agency said in its latest update that a total of 8,626 people had died as of January 18, almost all of them in west Africa, since the epidemic broke out in December 2013. There were 21,689 confirmed cases.

But decrypting the figures revealed rare good news in the worst ever outbreak of the disease which sparked a health scare the world over.

“Case incidence continues to fall in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone,” the WHO said. Liberia, for instance, which had a peak over 300 new cases per week in August and September, only notched up eight last week. The UN agency also said the three hardest-hit countries which have a creaky health infrastructure and were struggling to deal with the epidemic were now adequately equipped largely thanks to international help.

They now have “sufficient capacity to isolate and treat patients,” it said.

 

Mali government, UN declare country Ebola-free

The Malian government and the United Nations on Sunday declared the country free of Ebola after registering 42 days without any new cases of the deadly virus.

“I declare this day… the end of the epidemic of the Ebola virus in Mali,” Health Minister Ousmane Kone said.

Ibrahima Soce Fall, the head of the Malian office of the United Nations Mission for Ebola Emergency Response (UMEER), confirmed the country “had come out” of the epidemic.

Photo Credits : AFP

UN to resume full rations to refugees in Kenya

The UN World Food Programme (WFP) said Tuesday it will resume full food rations to refugees in Kenya in January following a successful appeal to foreign donors.

Last month WFP announced it had been forced to slash food handouts to nearly half a million people living in two camps in northern Kenya and who have fled conflict in Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan.

“Refugees depend on food assistance for their survival and we are relieved that we can now once again meet the full food needs of refugees in Dadaab and Kakuma,” said Thomas Hansson, WFP’s Acting Country Director for Kenya.

The Dadaab camp complex in Kenya’s northeast is home to one of the world’s largest refugee populations, housing over 350,000 Somali refugees.

The Kakuma camp in the arid northwestern Turkana region mainly houses refugees from South Sudan, Sudan and Somalia.

WFP said the $45 million in fresh contributions had come from the European Union, Britain, Denmark, Germany, Saudi Arabia and the United States, adding that rations would only be cut by 40 percent in December and return to normal levels in January.

WFP spends almost $10 million a month to hand out the 9,700 tonnes of food needed to feed some 500,000 refugees in Kenya.

UN fails to halt DRC reign of terror

More than 200 civilians have been hacked to death in 16 mysterious attacks in and around the eastern DRC city of Beni since October 3, the latest taking place this week. No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

The UN’s Force Intervention Brigade (FIB), which includes 850 South African combat troops, has a mandate to aggressively pursue rebels. Yet no UN military ground offensive has been launched against the attackers.

One attack took place five minutes’ drive from a UN base near Beni, another in which at least 58 people were killed was half an hour away. Witnesses described seeing bodies with split skulls strewn across paths.

The FIB previously launched joint ground and air offensives against rebels in the bush, using snipers, special forces operatives and mortar teams together with the Congolese army, known by the French acronym FARDC.

First Lady Margaret Kenyatta honoured by the UN

First Lady Margaret Kenyatta has been named the UN in Kenyan Person of the Year for 2014.

Mrs. Kenyatta has been recognized for her efforts in her Beyond Zero campaign.

The campaign is intended to ensure that “No woman should die while giving life”.

This is the 13th time the UN Family in Kenya has collectively honored an individual/institution

The award was part of the UN Day celebrations held every year on 24 October when the organization was initially established.

Previous winners have included Lady Justice Njoki Ndung’u and Abbas Gullet of the Kenya Red Cross

Kenyan appointed UN Assistant Secretary For Human Resources Management

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has appointed of Carole Wainaina as the UN Assistant Secretary-General for Human Resources Management. Wainaina takes over from Catherine Pollard, who has been appointed Assistant Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management.

Ms. Wainaina brings with her a wealth of global experience at various senior leadership levels including human resources strategy, leadership development, change management and driving organizational transformation. She has more than two decades of national and international corporate and non-profit leadership experience, having served as the Chief Human Resources Officer and member of the Executive Committee at Royal Phillips in the Netherlands from 2011 to 2014. Previous to that she worked at the Coca-Cola Company as Group Human Resources Director, Europe and held various progressively responsible positions, also at The Coca-Cola Company based in Turkey, the United States of America, the United Kingdom and Kenya.

Ms. Wainaina also served as Chief of Staff to the former Chairman and CEO of the Coca-Cola Company in Atlanta and as President of the Coca-Cola Africa Foundation. She started her career as a Management Consultant at Pricewaterhouse Coopers in Kenya and also served as the Special Assistant to the Director of the Kenya Wildlife Service.

Born in Kenya in 1966, Ms. Wainaina has a Bachelor of Business Degree from the University of Southern Queensland in Australia, majoring in Human Resources Management and Marketing.