Arrested terrorist said he got bomb making instructions off Facebook

Following his arrest Munir Mohammed argued it could not be illegal to download bombmaking instructions because they were easy to find on Facebook and YouTube.

He told detectives:

“If it is not allowed for people to read it, Facebook have to delete it or stop it.’ Mohammed said he had found a link to a video of how to make explosives on YouTube. This is in YouTube, everybody can see these things, it’s not banned. I know myself I did nothing and if you need to blame me, why I see this or why I saw that, blame the people who share it. I’m not the one that you have to blame. I see it because I find it in front of me. I read it, yeah, I read it out of curiosity, you know that. It’s not wrong to get knowledge or to see something.”

Another document, which promised to increase the destructive power of a bomb threefold, was also on Facebook, he said. He told the Old Bailey you could find Islamic State execution videos on the social networking site: “You find everything there.”

– Daily Mail

Kenyan man pleads guilty in US to supporting terrorist groups

A Kenyan man pleaded guilty to supporting three different terrorist organizations, admitting to providing money and recruits in Syria and Somalia, the US Justice Department said.

The suspect, 27-year-old Mohamed Hussein Said, is accused of providing material support to “foreign terrorist organizations,” according to a statement from the Justice Department.

Said, from Nairobi, Kenya pleaded guilty to sending money and recruits to Al-Qaeda, its affiliate Al-Nusra Front, and Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab militants in Somalia.

He was indicted on 15 counts alongside Gufran Ahmed Mohammed, a naturalized US citizen and resident of Saudi Arabia.

The men were arrested together in Saudi Arabia last year and taken to Miami by US Federal Bureau of Investigation agents.

“Mohammed sent a series of wire transfers to Said for the purpose of supporting Al-Shebab,” the Justice Department said.

“Said also served as a contact and recruiter of foreign fighters from the United Kingdom and elsewhere traveling to Somalia to join Al-Shebab.”

The pair also allegedly said they would support Al-Qaeda and Al-Nusra Front fighters by sending recruits to fight in Syria, according to the Justice Department.

The charges against the two men stemmed from a Miami-based investigation involving an FBI employee who enlisted the pair in a financial scheme to back the terrorist organizations, the Miami Herald newspaper reported earlier this year.

Said’s sentencing is scheduled for August 14.

If convicted, he faces a maximum statutory sentence of 15 years in prison.

Photo Credits : AFP

Terrorists could use Ebola to kill thousands warfare experts have warned

Terrorists could use Ebola to kill thousands of Britons, a secret study by germ warfare experts has revealed. Documents marked “UK Secret Eyes Only” show the MoD has studied three ways the virus could be used as a weapon in the UK.

The investigation was carried out at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory at Porton Down in Wiltshire. The study followed a request for guidance on “the feasibility and potential impact of a non-state actor exploiting the Ebola outbreak in West Africa for bioterrorism”.

Less than two weeks after the assessment last October the Government ordered screening of passengers at Heathrow airport. Terror experts at MI5 aim to block any effort to “weaponise” Ebola, which is spread by body fluids. An edited version of the study has emerged after a freedom of information request.

These are the wanted Al shabab leaders who target Kenya

The police have unmasked two al Shabaab terror commanders linked to the spate of attacks in Kenya and appealed for information on their whereabouts.

Terrorists Mohammed Kuno and Mohammed Iman have been linked to the strings of attacks in northern Kenya, including the recent Mandera killings of quarry workers.

At least 64 people have been killed in terror attacks by the militia group this year.

Police said Kuno, also known as Dulyadinaka Gamadheereis, who is suspected to be hiding in Kenya, is al Shabaab’s Jabha (military) leader for the Juba region of Somalia.

The militants have established a Jabha Unit in every region of Somalia.

He is also infamous for having an extensive terrorist network within Kenya, particularly in the Dadaab refugee camp.

Kuno claimed responsibility for the November 22, 2014, Makka Bus attack in Mandera, where 28 people were killed.

Police said the man has been mistaken to be very religious and has worked as a Madrassa teacher for several years.

 

We will stop at nothing to pursue terrorists – Ruto

The government will not allow places of worship to be hijacked by criminals bent on destroying the country, Deputy President William Ruto has warned.

He said that recent security operations had discovered armouries in mosques where guns, grenades and bomb-making materials, crude weapons including machetes and knives were kept.

“Our security forces will stop at nothing in their duty to pursue terrorists and their accomplices wherever they are,” Ruto said.

He said that other radicalized propaganda literature and Al Shabaab insignia including flags not holy books were found stored in these houses of worship.

“It is completely unacceptable that would-be holy places can be turned into battle pavilions and holding grounds for artillery meant to inflict injury, suffering and death to Kenyans,” said Ruto.

Ruto was addressing a press conference on Sunday at his Harambee house office in the light of the terror attack on a bus in Mandera that killed 28 people.

Ruto however, noted government has no intention of taking over places of worship, but warned those opposing measures being undertaken by security forces in a cleanup operation.

“Instead of supporting the government’s cleanup operation, they have chosen to castigate the Security Forces, these people cite the constitutional guarantees for the freedom of worship and claim that the security forces have violated this right,” he said.

He stated that leadership comes with responsibility and adding such individuals should cease from whipping up emotions amongst communities, and to offer terrorists and their sympathisers a false sense of comfort.

Ruto was categorical that as far as law enforcement was concerned, a church, synagogue, mosque, shrine or any other place of worship becomes a scene of crime once it is used for criminal activities.

He said that all those engaging in hate speech will be dealt with according to the law.

“The Government takes great exception to this type of leadership that promotes hate-speech and incitement of Kenyans and will hold those responsible accountable for every utterance and action that promotes disharmony and war-like activities,”he said.

Ruto reiterated Government’s commitment to assure the safety and security of every Kenyans and visitors wherever they are.

 

Kenyan Police mistake US teen for “white widow”

An American family has been offered an all-expenses-paid trip to Kenya after their vacation was ruined by a policeman who mistook their 15-year-old daughter for an international terrorist.

A statement from the Kenyan government said the teenage holidaymaker was “harassed by police in Mlolongo”, in Nairobi, “on accusations of looking like” British fugitive Samantha Lewthwaite.

It said Kenya’s interior minister, Joseph Ole Lenku, had announced that “the government will sponsor a fully-paid holiday for the family” as compensation and that police were also investigating the incident.

Lewthwaite, known as the “White Widow”, was married to Germaine Lindsay, one of four Islamist suicide bombers who attacked the London transport network on July 7, 2005, killing 52 people.

The 30-year-old Muslim convert has been linked to Somalia’s al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Shabaab rebels, who have launched a string of attacks in Kenya, including the assault on Nairobi’s Westgate shopping mall that claimed at least 67 lives a year ago.

Read more: http://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/us-teen-mistaken-for-white-widow-1.1751580#.VBgYB_L4TIU