1. The “I’m Sorry” grand gesture. The man who actually does something to demonstrate how sorry he is when he fucks up is a man who understands that actions speak louder than words. He knows there’ll be much less animosity between the two of you if he sends you beautiful flowers for you to Instagram instead of texting his apology.
2. The “It’s Your Special Day” grand gesture. Calling to say “Happy birthday!” or “Congratulations on landing that job!” doesn’t cut it. He should be celebrating you, and taking you out to show how much he cares about you. Since grand gestures are all about showing that he cares and wants to keep you around, he should be jumping at the opportunity to use your birthday or other special occasion as an excuse to plan something awesome.
3. The “I’ve Been Planning This For Weeks” grand gesture. There’s nothing sexier than when your man makes a date-night plan with you in advance and has it all planned out. Women hate worrying about when they’ll see their boyfriend next or wondering what they’re going to do, so the advance notice is already a win. In this lazy and entitled millennial culture, a grand gesture is when he takes initiative and actually plans something romantic for the two of you to do together. Even if it’s something simple like a candlelit dinner, the fact that thought went into it makes it a romantic gesture.
4. The “Big Surprise” grand gesture. “Book the weekend off, I want to take you somewhere.” That’s all he tells you, and then you find out he’s booked a room at a romantic cabin – but it was a surprise. The “surprise” grand gesture doesn’t have to be complicated, especially since he can give you an idea of what you’re doing without giving away all the details.
5. The “I’m Not All Talk” grand gesture. You know the type of man who says things like “I want to take you to [insert name of fancy restaurant] for dinner soon” but never actually takes you? The modern-day romantic knows the importance of following through on his word. He won’t just say he’s going to do something for you, he’ll actually do it. The art of follow-through is in itself a grand gesture. When a man’s actions match his words, ladies respect that man and know that he’s a keeper.
6. The “Open and Honest” grand gesture. It takes guts for a guy to lay his feelings on the line, and be open and honest with you about how much he likes you. This type of grand gesture means something because there are no games and he’s not afraid to say what’s on his mind.
7. The “I Must Win You Back” grand gesture. Sometimes, a guy really messes up. He disrespects you and you’re just done. Most of the time, that’s the end of the story. However, a smart guy knows that he has a shot at winning you back if he finds a special way of declaring his feelings for you. Again, this will entail some sort of action – not just empty words. You’ll be impressed that he swallowed his pride and attempted to win you back, and if his gesture is genuine, you may even reconsider your decision to end things.