Maasai Girls School in Narok closed indefinitely over rape allegations

Days after Nairobi’s Moi Girls school reopened,Maasai Girls’ School in Narok county has been closed indefinitely after rape claims against a teacher arose

Concerned parents  had camped outside the school from as early as 6am after reports that a male teacher had been demanding sexual favours from the girls.According to The Star it was said that some students alerted their parents who dashed to the school.

Maasai Girls School ,Narok
Maasai Girls School ,Narok

The students protested by refusing to go to class and demanded action against the teacher who reportedly hid in the principal’s office.Principal Rose Oteko told the media that the administration asked police to investigate.

“We acknowledge receiving the information about one of our teachers demanding sex from the girls. We did not [dismiss it as a rumor],” she told reporters. “The school will remain closed until further notice.”The school has about 1,300 students.

‘When we tried to raise our voice on the issues, the school said the victims were pretending,’ disturbing details about Moi Girls rape case

She added, however, that they suspected a former teacher had incited the students.

Oteko’s sentiments were echoed by county Education Director Samuel ole Sankale who said they would speed up investigations.

The claims follow the case of Moi Girls’ School in Nairobi, where a student was reportedly defiled and two others assaulted leading to a panic by both students and parents who urged the Education ministry to help ensure of their children’s security.

Students of Moi Girls going home after CS Amina Mohammed ordered its closure
Students of Moi Girls going home after CS Amina Mohammed ordered its closure

Moi Girls Nairobi has been reopened amid protests

The school was reopened on Sunday but some parents demanded details on the allegations and said they would not take their children back since they were not sure of what to expect if the issue was not properly handled.

At a protest on Monday, activists demanded the arrest of suspects so justice is served. They held demonstrations in the CBD before handing a petition to Education CS Amina Mohamed.

 

Cord condemns use of live bullets in Narok chaos

Action must be taken against those who authorised the use of live bullets during the Narok protest, Cord has said.

“We are deeply concerned at the tendency by the Jubilee regime to refuse to provide leadership in situations of conflict and resort to violence as a solution. The right to picket and to protest is protected by the Constitution,” the coalition said on Thursday.

It’s statement followed a parliamentary group meeting of its leaders on Thursday. Cord advised a political solution to the problems in Narok saying the people were demanding accountability from the leaders they elected.

Noting that “authoritarianism” will fail, it said: “Brute force is inconsistent with the demand placed on us as a nation for a reformed and people-friendly police service. Kenyans demand and deserve higher standards.”

The Monday protest was to oust Governor Samuel Tunai following corruption allegations.

 

Stephen Ntutu, four Narok MPs released on half a million personal bond each

Narok Senator Stephen OLe Ntutu and four MPs Johana Ngeno(EmurwaDikir), Moitalel Kenta(Narok North), KoreiLemein(Narok South) and Patrick Ntutu(Narok West) have been released on a personal bond of half a million shillings each.

The five who spent their night at Muthaiga Police cells Wednesday night were arraigned in Milimani court on Thursday for charges of incitement. This was in connection with the Monday chaos in Narok which two people died and several others injured. Angry Narok residents blocked the road, Thursday morning demanding for their release. Their case will be mentioned on 13th February 2015.

Narok leaders summoned over Narok protests

Police have summoned a section of Narok County leaders over Monday’s chaos in the town. The leaders led by Senator Stephen ole Ntutu and some MPs are required before CID headquarters Tuesday morning for allegations of inciting the residents to violence during the protest

Two people were killed and several people among them, Narok North OCPD Paul Leting, was injured. According to The Star Newspaper Tunai speaking about the issued said, “It is unacceptable that a set of leaders take sadistic pleasure in inciting some residents of Narok along partisan and private interests, fashioned along clan divisions on false claims of corruption against my administration.” He termed the disputes in Narok county as a “contest of greed and clannism against transparency and a new leadership order…”

The protesters had taken to the streets of Narok town demanding that Tunai step down over corruption allegations. They demanded that the receive the petition in person but police shot in the air to disperse the crowd. The protesters gave the Tunai 21 days to respond to allegations.

Narok women protest against negligence from their men

Hundreds of Maasai women in Narok County staged a demonstration to protest the move by their husbands to neglect their family’ responsibilities.
The, angry women who demonstrated at Katakala area, said their husbands spend most of their time away in trading centers only for them to return and sell the livestock.
“Our husbands arrive home at the late at night and leave very early in the morning to spend time with other women who have flooded our trading centers.

They have totally ignored their conjugal duties,” said Naisuya.
Naisuya added the men threaten them that they will send them back to their maternal homes when they demand that they be responsible.
“Children have been asking about their fathers who only arrive when drunk.

Some even take weeks before they return and they only come to sell cows before taking off to their concubines,” She said.
She also noted: “We do not know what these women have given our men.

We want to chase them because we do not want our children to be denied parental love,” said the woman.

Three killed in Narok road accident

Three people have died and 11 others sustained injuries after the vehicle they were travelling in was involved in a grisly road accident in Narok County Sunday evening.

The accident occurred at a roadblock near Mulot trading centre along Bomet-Narok road.

Among the dead is a student from Alliance Girls High School.

An eyewitness, Elijah Rono, said the accident happened after the rear tyre of the 14-seater Nissan matatu burst and the driver lost control.

The vehicle, which belongs to Narok Line, was heading to Bomet town from Nairobi.

“The driver lost the control and rolled several times before landing in a ditch. Most of the passengers were thrown out through the windows,” said Rono.

He said the driver could have taken full control of the vehicle but he was overspeeding.

Those injured were rushed to Tenwek Mission Hospital in Bomet County for treatment.

Sources at the hospital said the passengers who were seriously injured are responding well to treatment.

Commuters travelling to Nairobi from Western Kenya were stranded after the accident occurred.

Source : The Star