Moyes admits he did ban chips at Man Utd

Former Manchester United manager David Moyes has confirmed he did ban players from eating chips during his brief stint at Old Trafford because he believed some of the squad were overweight.

Rio Ferdinand, in his recent autobiography ‘#2Sides’, was severely critical of the way in which Moyes’s management style after he took over at Old Trafford and highlighted the chip ban as an example of what was wrong with his approach.

United Players had got used to having the low-fat chips as a pre-game ritual on a Friday night under Moyes’s predecessor Alex Ferguson — British football’s most successful manager – but the former Everton boss decided it was a treat they could do without.

“Yes, I did ban chips,” Moyes told Britain’s Four Four Two football magazine. “It was because a couple of players were overweight and I didn’t think chips were good for their diet.”

Moyes was sacked just 10 months into a six-year contract at Old Trafford when it became impossible for the club to qualify for this season’s edition of the lucrative European Champions League.

But the Scot has started to rebuild his reputation with Real Sociedad and last month Moyes guided his new club to a shock 1-0 league win over Spanish giants Barcelona.

Photo Credits : AFP

Moyes hails Barca conquest his ‘happiest night’

Real Sociedad’s David Moyes lauded the heroic efforts of his players who beat Barcelona 1-0 on Sunday thanks to a Jordi Alba own goal in a day of shocks in La Liga.

Earlier, Real Madrid’s 22-game winning streak was ended by a 2-1 defeat to Valencia meaning both giants of the Spanish game were beaten on the same day for the first time since April 30, 2011.

However, despite their lowly league position of 13th, Sociedad have shown themselves well capable of upsetting the odds having now defeated Barca, Real and champions Atletico Madrid at home under three different coaches.

And Moyes believes his challenge now is to draw that level of performance out of his players on a more consistent basis.

“It is the happiest night since I arrived in San Sebastian. We worked very hard. The players showed courage and defended incredibly,” said the Scot.

“This team has shown it is capable in the big games against the best teams in the league and now we must show the same capability to win the other games. At home, for example, we have let a lot of points slip away.

“We defended well tonight and that is what we have to do in all the games, but in other games when we don’t have to defend so much we also have to pass the ball and attack better.”

Barca boss Luis Enrique paid a heavy price for leaving both Lionel Messi and Neymar amongst nearly 300 million euros of talent on the bench.

Both South American stars only arrived back in Spain on Friday after an extended Christmas break and Moyes defended his counterpart’s decision to only introduce them after the break.

“The best players can’t always play at their best level in every match. The biggest games for Barcelona are still to come and in that sense I think Luis Enrique made the right decision.

“I was hoping this would happen, that some of their most important players wouldn’t start and we were prepared for that.”

Enrique also refused to accept that he had made an error with his starting line-up as Barca had more than 70 percent of possession and 17 efforts on goal, but failed to take their chances.

“To feel sorry afterwards doesn’t help anyone. I took the decision to avoid risks with players that made a long journey only a few days ago.

“I thought it was better not to risk it and we will never know if things would have been different if I had made a different decision.

“I can only remember the goal and then us dominating. There weren’t that many chances, but I think we deserved more. We didn’t have the luck or the clarity we needed in front of goal.”

A third league defeat of the season means Barca remain a point behind leaders Real Madrid having also played a game more than the European champions.

Moyes named head coach of Spanish side Real Sociedad

Moyes, who was axed by Manchester United in April following a dismal first season in charge at Old Trafford, has been handed a contract until June 2016 with the Spanish outfit.

“The Royal Society has reached an agreement with David Moyes to be the first team coach until 30 June 2016,” a statement on Sociedad’s official website read.

Moyes left United just 10 months into a six-year contract after being named as the successor to Sir Alex Ferguson in the summer of 2013.

At the time of his departure, United, the defending champions, were seventh in the Barclays Premier League and 23 points behind leaders Liverpool.

Moyes also left the 20-time title winners with a host of unwanted records broken during his tenure, including failing to qualify for the Champions League for the first time in almost two decades.

Moyes, who became the third shortest-serving manager in the club’s history, won 27, drew nine and lost 15 of his 51 games in charge of United.