Malaysian football coach quits after humiliating 10-0 loss

The coach of Malaysia’s national football team announced his resignation on Saturday just days after his squad was thrashed 10-0 by the United Arab Emirates during a World Cup qualifying match.

Dollah Salleh’s tenure as head coach comes to a premature end after he signed a two-and-a-half year contract in July last year, in a bid to lift the team out of the doldrums.

“Who can accept a 10-0 defeat? That is why I quit,” Salleh, who was one of the top footballers from the region in the 1980s and 1990s, told AFP.

“Historically, it is the worst ever defeat for the national team.”

The national team has come under increasingly harsh criticism for failing to perform in recent months.

In June, Malaysia suffered a 6-0 loss at the hands of Palestine during a World Cup qualifier.

Following Dollah’s resignation, the Football Association of Malaysia announced the appointment of veteran Malaysian footballer and manager Ong Kim Swee as interim coach and hinted they may hire a foreigner to lead the team in the future.

Malaysia is set to play against another regional heavyweight, Saudi Arabia, next Tuesday.

Photo Credits : AFP

Find Out Why J-Lo Has Been Sued For Tarnishing Women’s Name In Morocco

J-Lo performed in Morocco on May 29 at the Mawazine World Rhythms International Music Festival and the raunchy dancing has now landed the sexy songstress a lawsuit.

The singer famous for her big ‘booty’ delivered a too raunchy performance for Moroccans featuring sexy dancing, skimpy outfits and an inappropriate emphasis on her behind as well as her dancers’ behinds.

J-Lo on stage in Morocco
J-Lo on stage in Morocco

According to gossip website TMZ, J-Lo and the promoter are being sued because the raunchy performance had no business airing on Moroccan TV. An education group stating that Lopez disturbed public order and tarnished women’s honor and respect is behind the lawsuit.

If found guilty J.Lo faces 1 month to 2 years jail time. She has previously performed in Morocco but none of her shows have appeared on TV.

Morocco banned Moses epic for ‘showing God’: distributor

Morocco banned biblical epic “Exodus: Gods and Kings” on the flight of the Jews from ancient Egypt because it “represents God” which is forbidden under Islam, its distributor said Saturday.

The distributor said it had received written notice that Ridley Scott’s blockbuster contained a scene that represents God in the form of a “child who gives a revelation to the prophet Moses”.

Initially, cinema owners were informed verbally that the film had been banned, media reports had said.

“I deplore this censorship,” distributor Mounia Layadi Benkirane said in a statement to AFP.

Egypt, the Arab world’s most populous country, has also banned the movie, citing “historical inaccuracies”.

Moroccan media on Thursday reported that cinema managers had been told not to screen the film, despite its release already having been approved by the state-run Moroccan Cinema Centre (MCC).

Hassan Belkady, who runs Cinema Rif in Casablanca, told media24 news website that he had been threatened with the closure of his business if he ignored the ban.

“They phoned and threatened they would shut down the theatre if I did not take the film off the schedule,” Belkady said.

Distributor Benkirane, who also runs the Colisseum cinema in Marrakesh, said “Exodus” has now been pulled from the schedules.

“The last screening was on Friday night at 21:30. I respect the decision of the MCC board,” she said, but added that she did not understand why the decision was taken.

“The child through whom Moses receives the revelation in the film at no time says he is God,” she said, noting that such a film ban is “very rare” in the North African country.

Neither the head of the MCC nor the communications ministry could be immediately contacted by AFP to comment on the issue.

Benkirane said the film could have resulted in 35,000 ticket sales in Morocco and earned 1.8 million dirhams (nearly 160,000 euros).

Now the buzz caused by the controversy “will profit only the pirates who continue to peddle the film”, she said.

The 3D “Exodus: Gods and Kings”, starring Christian Bale as Moses rising up against the Pharaoh Ramses, earned $24.1 million in its debut weekend in the United States, according to box office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

Senegal to prepare for CAN in Morocco

Senegal will prepare for the Africa Cup of Nations with a training camp in the Moroccan resort of El Jadida, around 100 kilometres from Casablanca, from January 7, official sources revealed on Monday.

They will train in Dakar from after the New Year holiday until January 6 before moving on to Morocco.

National coach Alain Giresse is expected to announce his final 23-man squad for the tournament on January 6.

His team will play a friendly against Guinea in Morocco on January 13 and the Lions of Teranga will head to Equatorial Guinea on January 16.

Senegal will face Ghana, Algeria and South Africa in Group C at the finals, with their opening game against Ghana in Mongomo on the 19th.

CAF disqualifies Morocco from AFCON 2015

BBC – The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has confirmed that Morocco will not host the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations as planned.

However Caf did not announce a new venue for the tournament that is due to take place between 17 January to 8 February.

Caf’s executive committee also decided to expel Morocco  from taking part in the finals.

Morocco would have qualified for the finals as hosts.

Morocco opts against hosting CAF over Ebola

Morocco has refused to host January’s African Nations Cup soccer finals amid fears over the spread of the Ebola virus, throwing the 2015 tournament into jeopardy on Saturday.

The country, which had already said it wanted the 16-team event postponed, rejected an ultimatum set by the Confederation of African Football to confirm the hosting of the continental championship due to take place Jan. 17-Feb. 8.

A statement from Morocco’s sports ministry said: “The decision is dictated by health reasons because of the serious threat of Ebola and the risk of its spreading.”

A decision on the tournament will now be made next week when CAF has an executive committee meeting in Cairo but Morocco will almost certainly be stripped as hosts.

 

Africa Cup of Nations will not be postponed, says CAF

The confederation of African Football has declined Morocco’s plea to postpone the 2015 African Cup of Nations. The competition will be held as scheduled from January 17th 2015 to February 8th 2015. Morocco have till Saturday 8th November to decide if they will be the country hosts for the AFCON.

Morocco had asked for a postponement of the competition because of the Ebola outbreak but in a statement released to the press CAF said, “The Executive Committee of CAF confirms its commitment to keep the competition on the dates indicated (January 17-February 8, 2015), while asking the Royal Moroccan Football Federation to clarify the final position of Morocco not later than 8 November, 2014.

This time given also applies to all other CAF national associations wishing to organize the competition on the dates agreed as long as the hosting requirements are met.

A meeting of the Executive Committee will be held 11 November 2014 in Cairo, Egypt to take the necessary decisions.”

Morocco set to withdraw as hosts of Afcon 2015 due to Ebola fears

Morocco is set to withdraw from hosting Afcon 2015 over the deadly Ebola outbreak. Confederation of African Football(CAF)  have written to Ghana to asking them to host if Morocco pulls out.  Morocco had requested Caf to either postpone the tournament to 2016, let them host Afcon 2017 or they pull out and face all action from Caf so as to prevent further spread of the virus. With nations from the most affected area, West Africa, among those aiming to qualify for the tournament, it was expected that there will be movement of people from those countries to Morocco to follow their teams.

The African website supersport.com quoted a source saying,  “Since Caf rejected all our requests and suggestions then we are forced to withdraw from hosting Afcon 2015 with immediate effect to preserve the safety of our citizens and for that we are prepared to take any consequences that comes with our actions.”

 

Harambee Stars Extend Their Winless Run After 3-0 Loss To Morocco

The Moroccan national team beat Kenya 3-0 in a friendly game that was played on Monday at the Grand Stadium of Marrakech.

El Mahdi Karnas broke the deadlock with just quarter an hour to go when he controlled a high ball, cut in through the left wing, tearing the Harambee stars defence apart before smashing home an unstoppable strike.

morocco

Six minutes later, the travelling side were on the back foot when they failed to tame Morocco’s swift counter attacks, which led to a penalty for Mbark Boussoufa to bury the ball in the bottom right corner.

moroco

Kenya’s hopes of travelling home with a respectable scoreline were doomed with two minutes to go, when Mouhssine Lajour  was at the end of a  teething cross, which he easily tapped in past the hapless Kenyan custodian, to make it 3-0.

The loss was Bobby Williamson’s second in a row after taking over from Adel Amrouche two months ago, and the result has extended The Stars’ win less run to 5 games.