‘Everyday my body gets weaker and weaker,’ Cries Woman who is seeking help for kidney transplant

“I am in so much pain, every time I get out of that machine my life is never the same, day by day my body gets weaker and weaker,” these are the words of a 29 years old Loise Wanjiku, whose both Kidneys have failed.

Wanjiku has been going through dialysis twice per week for survival since 2014 at Alliance Medical centre, Nairobi.

The single mother from Kayole is now appealing to the public to help her raise money for transplant.

Her 12-year-old girl stays with her mother at their rural home.

Currently, Wanjiku is being accommodated by her brother who is willing to donate to her one of his kidneys.

‘I can’t keep on surviving through dialysis as it has its own side effects and I develop complications every day,” she told the Star on Friday.

“I have developed chest pains because of the curvature, my body is weak. I cannot stand for long,” she added.

Her’s is a cry of pain. Literally.

Wanjiku says though NHIF card caters for the cost of dialysis she has to buy drugs from her pocket which is quite expensive.

She was diagnised in 2014 at Kenyatta National Hospital.

“Before going for test my whole body was swollen, I had constant diarrhoea, my blood levels went down to five. I couldn’t eat and I was sleepy all the time,” she said.

“It was a shocking revelation, I saw my life coming to a stand still, I looked at my daughter and I couldn’t help crying,” she said.

Wanjiku had to be admitted at KNH for two months for her condition to stabilize.

The hospital bill was Sh200 000 but luckily it was waved.

Before her condition, she used to work as a hairdresser in a salon in Nairobi.

She cant work anymore.

Wanjiku says since then her life took an ugly twist as many of her friends walked away.

“Unless I get a transplant I will never be able to bear children. That’s what I was told by my doctors. I have always wished to be there for my daughter just like any other parent, but with my condition I cannot,” she explained.

“I had to sent my daughter to our Njoro home in Nakuru county where she now stays with my mother.

Wanjiku said that she has so far been able to raise Sh478 000 through a Facebook group called Single and saved.

“It was my brother who came up with this idea, he posted my plight on the page and after discussion with the group administrator Dayan Masinde, members agreed to be contributing some amount,” she said.

The group has also establish a project of selling caps and T-shirts which goes at Sh200 to raise the amount needed.

Kihia said that she’s optimistic that they will be able to raise the amount and that her sister will be back on her feet.

“It has never been easy, every day is a struggle but am optimistic that will raise the amount and Wanjiku will be well,“ he said.

Read more

Outrage as 15 die, 60 injured in Gikomba fire

15 people have been confirmed dead after a fire broke out in Gikomba early this morning.

Rescue teams say 70 others have been injured. Sadly 9 people are still trapped inside on of the buildings.

Nairobi county commissioner Kangethe Thuku says the cause of the fire is still unkown.

Around 17 buildings have been affected by the fire.

Some of the residents have said the fire had started right outside the buildings hence most of the people residing in the buildings could not access the exit.

Among those victims rescued was Betty Kaveke, who says several other children she lived with haven’t been traced.

Gikomba has been affected by fire incidences on numerous ocassions.

– September 8th 2010
– March 13th 2012
– March 18th 2014
– October 16th 2014
– June 25th 2015
– October 6th 2017
– June 28th 2018

Here are more photos of the fire that broke out at the popular market.

gikomba fire put out
Rescuers putting out the fire at Gikomba June 28th, 2018
gikomba fire june
The fire at gikomba broke out at 3am. June 28th, 2018
gikomba fire vic to knh
Red Cross teams who rushed the injured to KNH
knh accendent and emergency
Victims of Gikomba fire at the KNH accident and emergency unit
alice chepkoech gikomba fire vic
One of the injured treated and discharged from KNH

 Also read more here

 

 

Here is the man who was to undergo brain surgery at Kenyatta Hospital

Kenyatta National Hospital has been grabbing headlines for all the wrong reasons of late.

Caught on CCTV: Woman abducting baby from Kenyatta National Hospital

Last week, the CEO Lily Koros suspended the admission rights of a Neurosurgery Registrar and issued him with a show-cause letter for performing brain surgery on the wrong patient.

She later apologized to the public and she said:

“THE HOSPITAL DEEPLY REGRETS THIS EVENT AND HAS DONE ALL IT CAN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY AND WELL-BEING OF THE PATIENT IN QUESTION. WE ARE HAPPY TO INFORM THE PUBLIC THAT THE PATIENT IS IN RECOVERY AND PROGRESSING WELL,” KOROS SAID.

Well, it turns out that Angelos Miano Muthee, a second year Bachelor of Commerce student at the University of Nairobi, who passed away at the Kenyatta National Hospital was the one supposed to be operated on.

Angelos Miano Muthee
Angelos Miano Muthee

Miano was knocked down by a speeding motorcycle on Uhuru Highway and was rushed to Kenyatta National Hospital by a good Samaritan. He suffered severe head injuries. He had a blood clot in his head and was to undergo surgery at the facility, only for a surgical staff member to mess up.

Kenyatta National Hospital performs surgery on wrong patient

He was put on medication.

Angelos Miano Muthee

 

The family of the late student claim Miano died as a result of a missed operation and his father, James Muthee told the media:

“I HAD JUST RETURNED FROM WORK WHEN I RECEIVED A CALL INFORMING ME THAT MY SON HAD BEEN KNOCKED DOWN BY A RIDER AND THEY WERE LOOKING FOR AN AMBULANCE TO TAKE HIM TO HOSPITAL.”

Angelos Miano Muthee
Angelos Miano Muthee’s family mourning after he passed away at the Kenyatta National Hospital

While at the hospital, Angelos’s condition deteriorated and according to his family, a scan was done on Thursday and surgery scheduled for the following day but it never happened.

“THE NURSES PREPARED MY SON, CHANGED THE CLOTHES AND EVEN PUT A RIBBON BEARING HIS NAME ON THE HAND AND WE EXPECTED THEM TO TAKE HIM TO THE THEATRE. FOR THREE DAYS, THEY DILLY-DALLIED AND PROMISING US THAT THE OPERATION WILL BE CONDUCTED ANYTIME,” MR. MUTHEE SAID

He added that:

“WE KEPT ON ASKING WHY THERE WAS NO PROGRESS, BUT NOTHING WAS FORTHCOMING,” HE SAID.

On the fourth day, Angelos’s family said four surgeons came to the room and requested to speak to the family members at a private room.

Angelos Miano Muthee's mother mourning
Angelos Miano Muthee’s mother mourning

The family now wants the Kenyatta National Hospital management to explain why they prepared their son for surgery and failed to perform it.

“WE WANT THE KNH MANAGEMENT TO TELL US WHY THEY PREPARED OUR SON FOR SURGERY AND FAILED TO PERFORM THE SURGERY. FROM WHAT I SAW THERE IS HIGH LEVEL OF PROFESSIONAL NEGLIGENCE,”  SAID ANGELOS’S FATHER.

Angelos’s mother Naomi Njeru described her son as a promising young man, who had a great future.

“HE WAS THE PROMISING SON. WE HAD HOPE IN HIM AND HIS DEATH HAS DEALT US A BIG BLOW,” SHE MOURNED.

Credits: Standard

KNH has also responded on the ininteded surgery in a press release that states: The two were admitted in private ward for surgery on 18th and 19th respectively, and that the late angelos Miano died on 27th.

Also read more here

Kenyatta National Hospital performs surgery on wrong patient

 

Kenyans are outraged after news of Kenyatta National Hospital surgical staff performing surgery on the wrong patient.

Many are saying KNH imerogwa, and want action taken immediately. Read their comments below.

Kenyatta National Hospital has suspended the admission rights of a Neurosurgery Registrar and issued him with a show-cause letter for apparently performing brain surgery on the wrong patient.

KNH CEO Lily Koros said on Thursday that they took action following the incident, in line with the hospital’s procedures.

“The hospital deeply regrets this event and has done all it can to ensure the safety and well-being of the patient in question. We are happy to inform the public that the patient is in recovery and progressing well,” Koros said.

She added that the hospital also interdicted a ward nurse, a theatre receiving nurse and an anaesthetist for roles they could have played in the mishap.

According to the hospital’s procedures, such an incident requires the suspension or interdiction of involved medical staff. They are also issued with show-cause letters to explain what happened within seven days.

This is followed by the convening of a Medical Advisory Committee, chaired by the Director of Clinical Services, to hear all sides and make a determination.

The procedure also requires the hospital to forward the determination to respective regulatory bodies for further action if warranted.

In this case, the regulatory bodies concerned are the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board and the Nursing Council of Kenya for the registrar and nurses respectively.

Koros said:

“The seven-day show-cause period comes to an end on March 2, 2018, after which the Clinical Services Director will immediately convene the Medical Advisory Committee to deal with the issue.”

She added that the hospital will advise the public on actions taken once investigations are completed.

 

“The public should rest assured that the hospital’s management will ensure the hospital continues to adhere to the highest standards of healthcare and professionalism that have made it the jewel of healthcare in East and Central Africa,” Koros said.

We Have Not Received Official Complaint From Rape Victims – KNH CEO Lilly Koros

Check out the reactions:

Carol Radull: How do you conduct brain surgery on the wrong patient? Kenyatta National Hospital has outdone themselves. Horrfying!!!!

Donald Kipkorir: Dear Hon. Sicily Kariuki, Minister for Health …. Kindly dissolve the Board Of Directors & the top Management Of Kenyatta National Hospital, the biggest Hospital in Eastern Africa… The many mishaps is symptomatic of deep Systemic Rot. KNH needs Fresh Start, not Reforms.

Wambui: Oh my God! Brain surgery on the wrong patient? I hope the person recovers well. But what is really happening at Kenyatta National Hospital? Rape cases, theft of newborns, etc. What is the worst that must happen at KNH for there to be a change of management? Really what?

Saddique Shaban: Kenyatta National Hospital CEO Lily Koros ought to leave her position, who has has become untenable after recent strings of blunders. Someone else needs to steer the facility with immediate effect.

Also read more here

Are breastfeeding mums at Kenyatta Hospital being raped by morgue attendants? Read the messages about these allegations

Kenyans have today woken up to news concerning women who’ve given birth at Kenyatta National Hospital.

It is alleged that women at the hospital are being raped by morgue attendants as they go to breast feed their newborns at the nursery station, which is in a different floor.

Many people on social media have come out to confirm the news; some women even confessing to being victims.

 

Njambi Koikai

 

This issue has angered so many people including Jahmby Koikai, who has written a long post to Nairobi Women Rep Esther Passaris

This is an angry long post. This is a post to our Women Rep Esther Passaris @esthermpassaris . I’m sure by now you have heard about the insecurity at the largest referral hospital, Kenyatta National Hospital. This has gone on for a very long time, actually this has gone on for decades under the watch of the management. You are very aware that our WOMEN ARE BEING RAPED BY MORGUE ATTENDANTS. YOU ARE AWARE WOMEN CANNOT GO AND BREASTFEED THEIR BABIES WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED. WHAT THE HELL IS THIS???? Women going through CS is already enough pain. Then RAPE. I’M ANGRY. I’M SAD. THE WOMEN IN THIS NATION ARE NOT SAFE ANYWHERE. LOOK AT ALL THE SH*T WE ARE GOING THROUGH AS WOMEN. KENYATTA NATIONAL HOSPITAL IS A SCARY ZONE.”

Njambi Koikai

She continued, “I’VE BEEN THERE A COUPLE OF TIMES AND THE AURA OF INSECURITY IS IMMINENT. DURING THE DAY, YOU BATTLE WITH PICKPOCKETS IN THE LIFTS AND ON THE STAIRCASE, AT NIGHT OUR WOMEN ARE BEING RAPED BY MORGUE ATTENDANTS.
THIS IS MADNESS. THIS IS A NATION THAT NEEDS ACTION. HEADS NEED TO ROLL.
THIS IS THE HIGHEST ABUSE OF WOMEN AND HUMAN RIGHTS.
DON’T EVEN TRY TO THINK OF WHAT WOMEN WHO’VE UNDERGONE CS GO THROUGH. THEN WITH THE STITCHES, THEY’RE FORCED TO WALK UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS LEST THEY MEET WITH THESE RAPISTS.
C.E.O OF KENYATTA NATIONAL HOSPITAL IS A WOMAN. THIS HAS GONE ON UNDER HER WATCH. THE WOMEN OF THIS COUNTRY DESERVE THEIR RIGHTS.
THIS SHOULD NOT JUST END ON SOCIAL MEDIA COS ANYONE OF US COULD END UP THERE.
WE NEED TO STAND UP FOR THE WOMEN. WE NEED TO STAND UP FOR POOR WOMEN.
IT IS NOT A CRIME TO GIVE BIRTH.
LEAVE OUR BODIES ALONE.
WE ARE DAMN TIRED.”

Health cabinet secretary Mailu has noted the social media reports regarding alleged rape of mothers on their way to and from the Newborn Unit at KNH. The CS regrets if the alleged actions are true and has instructed KNH management to beef up security measures to protect patients and their relatives. The CS has further ordered investigations into the matter.

The KNH management and security agents will provide a report on the issue by Monday 22nd January 2018.

Here are screenshots that have been circulating;

Read more here

Doctors down their tools at Kenyatta Hospital over pay delays

Operations at the Kenyatta National hospital slowed down on Thursday morning as doctors downed their tools in protest at delayed salaries.

More than 300 doctors held a sit in outside the Health ministry headquarters at Afya House seeking audience with the cabinet secretary.

Their spokesman Yuya Omondi says the claim by County Governors that they’ve paid health workers is false.

A number of counties are facing similar challenges with a go-slow by health workers in Mombasa being blamed for at least six patient deaths so far at the Mombasa General hospital.

Concealed drugs land Nigerian trafficker in hospital

  Kenyatta National Hospital: Where suspect was rushed after falling ill

A Nigerian drug trafficker was arrested this morning after the drugs he had concealed within his body burst inside him.

The middle-aged man had arrived at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport from Lagos while on transit to Asia when the incident happened.

The man fell ill immediately after checking into the hotel where passengers on transit had been booked by their airline and was rushed to hospital.

Doctors at Kenyatta Hospital were able to retrieve several drug pellets which the man had inserted through his rectum.

He will be arraigned in court as soon as he is released from hospital.