Being in a relationship doesn’t mean that you stop being yourself and start being someone different. A relationship should allow you to be yourself and even make you better. Your partner should respect you, but that can only happen if you learn to value yourself. There are things that people do in relationships that end up enslaving. There are things that you don’t owe your partner, the same way that they don’t owe the same to you … here is a list
1. The right to repeatedly break your heart – You cannot keep staying with someone who has repeatedly cheated on you, abused you or is physically abusive with you. You can forgive them yes but you don’t need to stay, you owe them nothing.
2. ‘Me time’ – Everyone deserves and likes to have their time alone by themselves to just sit, enjoy and embrace themselves. A time to collect your thoughts, plan things, work on you, enjoy your hobbies etc. You don’t need to be with your man 24/7/365 and vice versa. People who like being together always are controlling, that’s not love so don’t get it twisted.
3. Saying NO – It’s not a must for you to agree with everything your partner says or does. You should not be afraid to speak your mind and you should not say yes all the time. If you feel like saying no puts you in an awkward position with your partner then you need to re-analyse your relationship. If your partner loves you he doesn’t need an explanation every time you don’t want to do something.
4. The right to control your goals and dreams – Your partner doesn’t want to see you excel at work, climb up the social ladder, grow your business, chase your dreams? If at all there is no support from your partner in things that matter to you then wake up and smell the coffee. You are the only person who can kill your dreams, don’t let anyone else kill them for you.
5. The right to control your money – In as much as you may share finances, each one still needs to have their own cash aside. Sadly many people will have their partners control every little penny including what’s not theirs. You work hard for your money, it’s your right to control it, not your partner.
6. Eternal love – Times change, people change, life goes on. Sometimes even love fades away and we may meet new people. It’s only fair to you both if you’re honest. Don’t lie, don’t cheat, be honest about it because you both deserve happiness even if it’s by other people’s sides. You don’t owe anyone forever and vice versa.