Burkina faso military sets deadline for new president

Burkina Faso’s military ruler said on Saturday he had restored the constitution that was suspended when President Blaise Compaore was toppled after mass protests last month.

Lieutenant Colonel Isaac Zida, who declared himself head of state on Nov. 1 after Compaore resigned and fled the country, said political figures had until 1200 GMT on Sunday to propose a leader of the transition to civilian rule.

Compaore, a regional power broker and a key Western ally against Islamist militants, was ousted in a uprising sparked by his efforts to change the constitution so he could stand for re-election next year despite having already been in power for 27 years.

The African Union gave Zida two weeks to restore civilian rule or face sanctions. The military, political parties and civil and religious leaders will sign an agreement on Sunday on the make-up of the transitional government.

Under this charter, a body made up of five soldiers, five opposition leaders, five members of the former president’s camp and eight traditional and religious leaders will select the president of the transition from the names proposed on Sunday.

 

Source :Reuters

Burkina Faso opposition parties to protest against army take over

Opposition parties and civic groups in Burkina Faso have called a mass rally for Sunday in protest at the army takeover after the resignation of President Blaise Compaore.

They said the management of the transition belonged to the people and should not be confiscated by the army.

It came hours after the army said Lt-Col Isaac Zida, second-in-command of the presidential guard, had been chosen as the nation’s transitional leader.

Mr Compaore has fled to Ivory Coast.

“The victory born from this popular uprising belongs to the people, and the task of managing the transition falls by right to the people,” opposition groups said in a statement.

“In no case can it be confiscated by the army.”

There were protests earlier this week after Mr Compaore sought to amend the constitution and extend his long hold on the presidency.

Source: BBC

Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore steps down

Burkina Faso’s embattled President Blaise Compaore announced on Friday that he was stepping down following violent protests demanding an end to his 27-year rule.

In a statement issued by the presidency and read on local television, Compaore declared a “power vacuum” in the west African country and called for “free and transparent” elections within 90 days.

 

Burkina Faso’s president refuses to step down despite attempted coup

Burkina Faso’s long time leader refused to resign Thursday in the face of violent protests that posed the greatest threat to his nearly three-decade rule, saying instead he will lead a transitional government after parliament was dissolved.

Protesters stormed the parliament building and set part of it ablaze in a day of violence around the country to stop a parliamentary vote on Thursday that would have allowed President Blaise Compaore to seek a fifth term in office. At least one person was killed and several others were wounded amid the melee, authorities said, and a curfew was put in place from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. A state of emergency was imposed for several hours but lifted late Thursday.

In a concession to the protesters, the government withdrew the bill from consideration. But the move did not placate the protesters, and Army Gen. Honore Traore, the joint chief of staff, later announced that government and parliament had been dissolved and a new, inclusive government would be named.

After hours of confusion about whether Compaore would hold on to power or even where he was, the president spoke briefly on television and radio to stay he was still in charge and would not step down.

“I am available to open discussions with all parties,” he said in a recorded address. The transitional government will include representatives from all sides and work to hold elections within 12 months.

Source : aljazeera.com

Air Algeria loses contact with plane after take off

                                                                                                                                         File photo courtesy of aeronautique.ma

The fate of 116 people on board an Air Algerie flight from Burkina Faso to Algiers remains unknown hours after the aircraft disappeared from radar over northern Mali.

Air navigation services lost track of the MD-83 about 50 minutes after takeoff from Ougadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso early today.

According to authorities in Burkina Faso, the plane was carrying 50 French nationals, 24 Burkina Faso nationals, six Lebanese, five Canadians, four Algerians, two Luxemburg nationals, one Swiss, one Nigerian, one Cameroonian and one Malian.

The plane had been missing for hours before the news was made public.