President Maghufuli Rubbishes Mini-Skirt Ban Reports

Ladies are free to wear mini-skirts. Tanzania’s President Maghufui has denied banning mini-skirts and has termed the reports as baseless.

In a statement, Tanzania’s ministry of foreign affairs said it had noted with “serious concern” and “disapproval” reports that Magufuli had banned miniskirts.

“There is no doubt that His Excellency President Magufuli and his government are strong proponents of decent dressing, but the ministry wishes to put the record straight that the president has not issued any ban on miniskirts for any reason,” read the statement.

Standard media reported on Monday that Magufuli had banned miniskirts across Tanzania on the pretext that they encouraged the spread of HIV/Aids.

The ministry said while it appreciated the “enthusiastic” and “positive reviews” of president Magufuli’s performance in the media, it took “strong exception” at “irresponsible distortions” such as the one on miniskirts.

Following his sweeping victory last October, Magufuli has become an international hero due to cost-cutting measures introduced across the country.

 

NewZimbabwe

Kenya marathon star Jeptoo facing increased doping ban

Top Kenyan marathon runner Rita Jeptoo could see her two-year doping ban doubled if the International Association of Athletics Federations gets its way.

The IAAF have lodged an appeal with the Court of Arbitration in Sport (CAS) claiming the ban imposed on Jeptoo in January was too lenient.

For her part, Jeptoo has appealed against the ban and is also lobbying the CAS to be allowed to continue running while the matter is resolved.

Jeptoo, 33, was banned after being caught doping with the banned blood-boosting hormone EPO.

The suspension, imposed by Athletics Kenya’s anti-doping commission, was the minimum mandatory punishment under international anti-doping regulations in place when she was caught in an out-of competition test last year.

However, athletes caught doping after January 1st this year now face a mandatory four-year ban.

On Tuesday, the CAS announced it had received two appeals over the matter.

“In her appeal to the CAS, Ms Jeptoo requests that the challenged decision be set aside and that the two-year suspension be lifted,” the CAS said in a statement.

Meanwhile, it added: “The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) also filed an appeal, requesting that the athlete’s period of ineligibility be increased to four years, due to aggravating circumstances which it argues warrant an extended period of ineligibility.

“With her appeal, Ms Jeptoo filed an application to stay the execution of the challenged decision. Ms Jeptoo requests this stay in order to be able to resume training and to be able to participate in IAAF competitions during the CAS proceedings.”

Both appeals were currently “in progress and are being conducted in accordance with the Code of Sports-related Arbitration,” the CAS said.

Jeptoo, winner of the last two consecutive Boston and Chicago marathons, is the biggest name in Kenyan athletics to have been caught cheating and the scandal has cast a shadow over the achievements of the east African distance running powerhouse.

She has already been denied the $500,000 prize for winning the last World Marathon Majors series.

Photo Credits : AFP

Tanzania bans witchdoctors over albino attacks

BBC – Tanzania has banned witchdoctors in a move intended to stop attacks on people with albinism.

Home Affairs Minister Mathias Chikawe said there would be a nationwide operation to “arrest them and take them to court” if they continued to work.

Albino people, who lack pigment in their skin, have faced attacks for their body parts, which witchdoctors believe bring good luck and wealth.

More than 33,000 people in Tanzania are believed to have albinism.

Seventy have been killed in the past three years but only 10 people have been convicted of murder.

Mr Chikawe said action to find and prosecute witchdoctors would begin in two weeks’ time in the northern areas of Mwanza, Geita, Shinyanga, Simiyu and Tabora, where most of the attacks have taken place.

The ban has emerged from the work of a special joint task force between police and the TAS.

The task force’s work will now entail reviewing previous cases of albino attacks for new evidence and conducting further research on the motive of attackers.

Nkaissery orders crackdown on use of sirens and strobe lights on private cars

Any vehicle found to have a siren or strobe lights, apart from those allowed by law, will be impounded and their owners charged in court.

Cabinet secretary in charge of the interior and co-ordination of national government Joseph Nkaissery has directed the police to crack down on the use of these tools on vehicles.

In a statement, Nkaissery says that apart from the President and Deputy President, no other person is allowed to have a siren or strobe lights on their vehicle. The only other vehicles allowed by law to use the above tools are police vehicles, ambulances and fire engines.

Nkaissery says that more and more cases of private cars having sirens and strobe lights continue to be reported which is against the law.

A number of matatus and funeral service cars have also been using strobe lights despite there being no provision for their use in the Traffic Act.

A number of politicians have also fitted sirens on their cars and have been using them to wriggle out of heavy traffic.

The directive by Nkaissery takes effect starting Monday 12th January 2015.

Balotelli given one-match ban over racist post

Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli has been suspended for one match, fined £25,000 ($39,176) and ordered to attend to an education course after making racist and anti-semitic comments.

Balotelli had already accepted a charge of an aggravated breach of Football Association rule E3, relating to references of ethnic origin, colour, race, nationality or religion or belief, after his posting of an image of computer game character Super Mario on Instagram which included the words “jumps like a black man and grabs coins like a Jew”.

The Italy international did not request a personal hearing, but submitted written mitigation to an independent disciplinary panel, who handed out the punishment on Thursday.

Balotelli will now miss Sunday’s Premier League clash with Arsenal at Anfield, subject to any appeal.

Liverpool said they were awaiting the full written verdict from the panel but did not rule out further action against the player by the club.

“The club acknowledges the decision reached by the independent panel and due consideration will be given to the written judgement once we receive it from the FA,” a Liverpool spokesman said.

“Any further action taken by ourselves in relation to this matter is between the club and player.”

The day after his posting — which he quickly deleted — Balotelli apologised by writing on Twitter: “I apologise if I’ve offended anyone. The post was meant to be anti-racist with humour. I now understand that out of context (it) may have the opposite effect.”

But the former Manchester City and AC Milan star was unable to avoid a ban that added to a troubled first season at Liverpool for the controversial forward.

The FA said in a statement: “Following an independent regulatory commission hearing today Mario Balotelli has been fined £25,000, suspended for one-match with immediate effect, subject to any appeal, and warned as to his future conduct after he admitted breaching FA rules in relation to social media.

“The charge was that an image the Liverpool player posted on social media was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper, contrary to FA rule E3(1).

“Furthermore, the posting was considered to be an “aggravated breach” as defined in FA rule E3(2) in that it included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality and/or religion or belief.

“Mr Balotelli has also been ordered to attend an education programme.”

FKF lifts ban on Gor, Leopards fans

Football Kenya Federation has lifted the AFC and Gor Mahia ban barring fans from attending their remaining two games of the Kenya Premier League fixtures, following an appeal by the respective clubs. AFC Leopards and Gor Mahia supporters can attend their team’s respective matches against Sofapaka and Muhoroni Youth.

In a statement released to the press FKF said, “Until the appeals are heard and dispensed with, the decision to ban fans from attending the matches shall not be enforced and therefore supporters are allowed to attend the respective matches against Muhoroni Youth and Sofapaka FC.

“However, the clubs are reminded of their obligation to ensure their supporters conduct does not undermine the integrity of football and any contravention of this spirit bears grave consequences. Further, we remind the home teams of their duty to provide board security and take no chances with the safety before, during and after the matches in question,”

Real Madrid’s Zinedine Zidane gets three-month coaching ban

World Cup winner Zinedine Zidane has been suspended from coaching for three months for taking charge of a team without the right qualifications.

The Spanish Football Federation has banned the former France midfielder for leading Real Madrid Castilla, the European champions’ reserve side.

Zidane’s assistant Santiago Sanchez has also received a three-month ban.

Real issued a statement declaring their “absolute disagreement” with the decision, which they intend to fight.

The club said Zidane “has been authorised by the French Football Federation to work as a head coach in the category Real Madrid Castilla currently find themselves in”.

Real’s statement concluded: “Real Madrid will pursue every available legal avenue so that this decision is overturned.”

 

Kenya bans entry from Ebola stricken countries

Passengers traveling from or through Ebola-stricken Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone will not be allowed entry into Kenya.

Health secretary James Macharia says the directive takes effect from midnight Tuesday and will apply at all points of entry. Macharia says the steps are to help contain spread of virus that has so far killed close to 1,500 people in West Africa.

Kenyans and medical workers flying in from those states would however still be allowed in.

National carrier Kenyan Airways has already complied with the directive and said it will stop flights to West Africa.

The World Health Organization (WHO) says Kenya is at “high risk” of Ebola because it is a major transport hub.

Luis Suarez bite: Ban upheld but striker allowed to train

Luis Suarez’s four-month biting ban is upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, but he is cleared to train with new club Barcelona.

A full explanation of the ruling will not be published until a later date.

Suarez’s lawyers argued world governing body Fifa’s decision to suspend him from all “football-related activity” for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup was excessive.

Suarez, 27, will be available from El Classico at Real Madrid on 26 October.

The Uruguay striker will continue to serve a nine-match international ban.

READ MORE: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28783667

Manchester United bans iPads and other tablets at Old Trafford this season

Manchester United has banned supporters from bringing iPads or other tablet devices into Old Trafford this season.

There has been a growing trend among fans across the country to film and photograph action from matches on iPads or other tablets, which can interfere with the view for other spectators.

There are also fears over copyright with tablet devices offering the possibility to film an entire match in high quality.

This has forced United to take action. The club wrote to fans attending Tuesday’s friendly with Valencia to update them on the new policy.

“We want to make you aware of an update to our club policy regarding home matches,” the email read.

“Supporters cannot bring large electronic devices (bigger than 150mm x 100mm) inside the stadium.

“For example, iPads or other tablet devices and laptops are now prohibited.

READ MORE: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11027601/Manchester-United-ban-fans-from-bringing-iPads-and-other-tablets-into-Old-Trafford-this-season.html

FAA Lifts Its Ban on Flights to Israel

                                                                                                                        Ben Gurion Airport Tel Aviv. File Photo courtesy of insightonthenews.net

The agency says it has “carefully reviewed” new safety measures being taken by the Israeli government

Under pressure from Israeli and American officials, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) lifted a temporary ban on flights by American carriers to Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport late on Wednesday night.

READ MORE: http://time.com/3027005/u-s-lifts-israel-flight-ban-faa-tel-aviv-ben-gurion-airport/