‘If I’m destined to die on a certain day, nothing can change that’ Says DPP Noordin Haji as he confesses on being sent threats by Al Shabaab

Deputy Public Prosecutor Noordin Haji is winning the love of many Kenyans for his zeal to fight corruption at a time where its at its peak.

But it has not been a smooth ride as he has faced death threats even from Al Shabaab,in a candid interview with the Nairobian he says

“I have received threats, but this is not the first time. I worked with the NIS (National Intelligence Service) and I received threats from the Al-Shabaab and Al-Qaeda. They used to threaten even my family.

Those threats still exist. Al-Shabaab actually renewed their threats against me. But there have also been subtle threats, like bringing up my father’s name in the National Land Commission case. How come that issue was not raised before the NLC officers were charged?”

th

Despite the threats Haji says that he will keep doing what he is supposed to do since he believes in God and his divine protection.

“It is a way of telling me to go slow or drop the cases. But I want to make it very clear that I believe in God, and only God can determine my destiny. So, if I’m destined to die on a certain day, nothing and no one can change that.

We all have an expiry date and frankly, if I have to die for this cause, then so be it. Nothing would be more fulfilling. I am determined to see this to the end, for God and for my country.”

Read more

Al Shabaab Execute Two Kenyans Over Spying Allegations

Al Shabaab terror group on Monday 28th May executed two Kenyans accused of spying for Somalia and Kenyan intelligence services in Fino town, lower Shabelle region.

The two, Shukri Ali 22 from Garissa and Farah Godane from Lamu were executed by dagger wielding militants and forcefully gathered the locals to witness the execution.

The locals in Al Shabaab controlled areas have witnessed regular executions carried out by the militant group. The executions are mainly by firing squad, throat slitting and stoning.

A source further confirmed that later that evening five other Kenyans and two Tanzanians were tortured in the same camp over allegations of ISIS connections.

The source added that the tortured group was found reading online content that the leader of the camp said was related to ISIS. Ailing al shabaab leader Abu Ubeidha released an audio message on 20th May 2018 reaffirming the groups allegiance to Al Qaeda.

Rumour has also been rife within al shabaab circle over a hostile take over by the two deputies Mahata Karate and Maalim Osman. Analysts believe that by torturing the foreign fighters, the leader was sending a message of reassurance to the militant leader of his loyalty him.

The foreign Al Shabaab fighters mainly from Kenya have witnessed rampart executions by the group who accuse them of being moles within the group. So far, more than 20 Kenyans have been killed notably, Jared Mokaya Omambia, Faraj Abdulmajid, Ahmed Yusuf Hassan, Ahmed Nur Abdi Osoble, Abdullah Talal Musa, Hashim Othman Selali among many others.

So Inhuman! Nine Dead After An Al-Shabaab Massacre in Lamu, All Men, Killed Using Knives

Nine people were on Friday, July 7th night massacred by suspected al-Shabaab militants in Jima and Poromoko villages, Lamu county.

The victims, all men, were slaughtered using knives.

“The 15 militants raided Jima and Pandanguo villages and killed nine men. They were slaughtered like chicken using knives. Something similar to what happened in Mpeketoni in 2014. We suspect there are many bodies that haven’t been recovered,” a police source told the Star.

Jima Village is about two kilometers from Pandanguo where al-Shabaab militants attacked a police station and killed three officers on Wednesday morning.

Not Again! Four Police Officers Killed While Two Go Missing After Their Car Runs Over An Explosive Device In Lamu

The militants had ransacked farms at Jima looking for ‘non-Muslims’ but did not find them since majority had fled following the Wednesday attack in Pandanguo.

Kaingu Kadzomba, a resident, said the militants were only targeting male non-Muslims.

“They said they were fighting for their land and that we should let them be. They even asked Boni farmers to give them green maize but were told it wasn’t ripe yet.They also asked if there were police at Jima center,” he said.

While confirming the recent attack, Linda Boni Operations Director James Seriani said four people had been killed and that police officers had already been deployed to the ground.

“We Are In Love And Happy”: MP’s Daughter And Her Muslim Lover Released After Al-Shabaab Claims

“There was an attack there last night. We are now heading there. Four deaths reported. Forces are being mobilised from all areas to pursue the attackers,”Seriani said.

Lamu County Commissioner Joseph Kanyiri also confirmed that there had been an attack but said he didn’t have clear information on the number of casualties.

“There was an attack in the night. Numbers not known,” said Kanyiri in a text.

Residents are now living in fear not knowing where the militants will strike next.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-Cheti Paraxides/The Star

 

 

11 al Shabaab militants and two KDF soldiers dead in Baure attack

The government has confirmed that KDF soldiers have killed 11 al shabab militants during an attack in Baure, Lamu county. 2 KDF soldiers died during the Sunday attack.

KDF spokesperson David Obonyo said that the soldiers gunned down the 11 terrorists with two being of Caucasian origin. A number of rifles including 13 AK47s, 5 RPGs and 8 Grenades

Speaking about the attack as quoted by The Star Newspaper Obonyo said, ““We can confirm that two KDF soldiers and 11 Al-shabaab militants have been killed at Baure area which is 39 kilometers from the Bargoni military camp in Lamu East on Sunday morning. The militants tried to force entry into the camp and that’s when the battle ensued. A hunt has however been mounted to flush out the militants who fled into the Boni forest.Many are injured and we shall be on them soon.”

Somalia’s Shebab warn Kenyan public of ‘long, gruesome war’

Somalia’s Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab Islamists threatened Kenyan citizens with “another bloodbath” on Saturday, two days after their gunmen slaughtered 148 people at a university.

“We will, by the permission of Allah, stop at nothing to avenge the deaths of our Muslim brothers until your government ceases its oppression and until all Muslim lands are liberated from Kenyan occupation,” the Shebab said in a statement.

“And until then, Kenyan cities will run red with blood… this will be a long, gruesome war of which you, the Kenyan public, are its first casualties.”

The day-long siege on Thursday of the university in the northeastern town of Garissa was Kenya’s deadliest attack since the 1998 bombing of the US embassy in Nairobi, and the bloodiest ever by the Shebab militants.

The Shebab, in an emailed statement written in good English, and which was confirmed genuine by a spokesman via telephone, described how they had specifically singled out non-Muslims to kill, gathering them together before executing them.

Survivors who hid from the attack have recounted how the gunmen called on people to come out of their dormitory bedrooms and lie on the ground face down, but then killed them.

A photograph seen by AFP from inside the building showed over 50 students killed lying down on the ground.

“The mujahedeen stormed the university compound and swiftly proceeded to the halls of residence where they had gathered all the occupants,” the statement added.

“And since the attack targeted only non-Muslims, all Muslims were allowed to safely evacuate the premises before executing the disbelievers.”

The statement also described what it called “unspeakable atrocities against the Muslims of East Africa” by Kenyan security forces, both in Kenya’s northeastern ethnic Somali region and in southern Somalia, when Nairobi sent troops in 2011 to battle the Islamists.

The gunmen in Garissa wanted to “avenge the deaths of thousands of Muslims killed at the hands of the Kenyan security forces,” the statement added.

The Kenyan government has vowed that it would not be “intimidated”.

But the Shebab also warned the public they would be targeted in “schools, universities, workplaces and even in your homes” as they had elected the government.

“Choices have consequences; you chose your government out of your own volition so endure the consequences of your actions, for you will bear the full brunt of its follies,” the statement read.

“Not only are you condoning your government’s oppressive policies by failing to speak out against them, but are reinforcing their policies by electing them. You will, therefore, pay the price with your blood.”

Photo Credits : AFP

NCIS amnesty to Kenyan youth in Al-Shabaab

The National Cohesion and Integration Commission is drafting a policy for giving a six-month amnesty to youths who joined the al Shabaab but want to quit.

NCIC commissioner Roba Sharamo said the returning recruits must be integrated back into society immediately to prevent homegrown attacks.

“We have a national de-radicalisation strategy adopted by the cabinet which is guiding us. We also have had calls from the coastal political and religious leaders to have an amnesty so that the youths stranded in Somalia and fearing to come back can return to their homes,” Sharamo said.

He was speaking in Lamu county on Saturday during a peace meeting organised by the NCIC and the Supreme Council of Kenyan Muslims.

Sharamo said NCIC is working with the National Police Service, intelligence agencies and local leaders to put the systems in place.

“Only the President can grant such an amnesty. One of our mandates as NCIC is to advise the President directly and once all the systems have been put in place, we will approach him with the recommendations,” he said.

Sharamo noted that many of the youths joined the militia group to alleviate poverty, but are opting out because of disappointment.

“The Kenya Defense Forces has been dismantling the terror networks in Somalia and the situation has forced many of our youths to come back to the country,” he added.

Coast region Supkem chairman Sharif Khitamy said that the youths have adopted an ideology that can only be changed through dialogue and integration programs.

Khitamy said it is the duty of leaders, Imams, pastors and opinion leaders to rehabilitate them.

“Some of our youths have virgin minds and it our duty as leaders to train them on the right paths to follow or else terror groups like al Shabaab will take advantage of them,” he said.

Commissioner Adan Mohammed said the militia group took advantage of the youth.

“Somalia did not have a stable legal government for almost 20 years and the terrorists targeted and recruited the innocent youth,” Mohammed said.

He said they are at a critical stage and need proper guidance.

It is estimated that Kenyan youths make up 10 per cent of the al Shabaab and that 700 of them have returned to the Coastal region.

– The Star

Three Kenyan soldiers wounded in gun attack near Somali border

Gunmen attacked a truck carrying Kenyan soldiers near the border of Somalia on Thursday, seriously wounding three of them, police said, in an assault that bore the hallmarks of Somalia’s Islamist militant group al Shabaab.

Attacks on civilians and security forces have killed over 200 people since 2013.

Concerns about security have battered Kenya’s tourism industry, including during this holiday season.

“The soldiers were going to fetch water from a borehole in Mangai village, Lamu East, when militia attacked them by shooting at their lorry,” Lamu County police commander Ephantus Kiura said.

“Three soldiers were critically injured in the incident and were airlifted to a nearby naval base where they are receiving treatment.”

The attack took place some 80 km from Lamu island – an ancient trading port and popular tourist resort – about 100 km from the site of attacks last June and July in which gunmen killed about 100 people.

The al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab claimed responsibility for those attacks, saying it would continue its assaults to persuade Kenya to pull its troops out of Somalia, where its forces have joined other African Union troops battling the militants.

A spokesman for the militant group could not immediately be reached.

 

Somali troops capture key port town from al-Shabab

BBC reports that Somali government troops backed by African Union forces have captured Barawe, a key stronghold of al-Shabab Islamists, according to the local officials.

The government now controls all the sea ports along the coast of Somalia, blocking off supply lines, and the AU says al-Shabab, who had held the town for six years, used it as a base to launch attacks on the capital.

Al-Shabab had begun withdrawing from the key port town on Friday, and have lost control of several towns in the past month. They however still control large swathes of territory in rural areas.