Deputy Inspector General of police Samuel Arachi has denied allegations that five men kidnapped by Al-Shabaab on Friday last week in Kiunga Lamu East have been released.
Arachi said the five are yet to be found and that their has been no communication to their respective families as claimed. He said a search and rescue operation for the five is still on as well as a hunt for the militiamen.
“We have deployed surveillance on the ground and in the air in a bid to rescue the Kenyans and apprehend the criminals,” Arachi said. The five were waylaid by heavily armed al Shabaab assailants while ferrying Miraa in two Toyota Land Cruisers from Meru to Kiunga.
Arachi said the kidnappers abandoned the two vehicles and offloaded the miraa after the multi-agency operation started.