Scotch eggs can either be eaten as an appetizer or for breakfast depending on how you are feeling at the moment. But, personally for me I make it as a breakfast meal for the family.
Ingredients that you will need;
- 4/5 eggs ( depends on how many people you serving)
- Good quality sausage either pork or beef
- tsp finely chopped parsley
- All purpose flour well seasoned
- Golden fry oil ( preferably of your choice)
- 1 beat egg
Step By step preparations
- Bring a pot of salted water to a rapid boil, then lower 4 of the eggs into the pan and simmer for 7-14 minutes exactly. Scoop out and place in a bowl of cold water, cracking the shells a little (this makes them easier to peel later). Leave them to cool completely, then peel and set aside. Can be boiled the day before and refrigerated.
- Season the sausage meat in a separate bowl and mix them all. One at a time, lightly flour each cooked egg, then use the cling film to help roll the sausage meat around the egg to completely encase. Repeat the steps with the rest of the remaining eggs. Remember wet your hands or finger tips when encasing the sausage around the egg.
- Beat the remaining egg and put on a plate. Put the flour and breadcrumbs on 2 separate plates. Roll the encased eggs in the flour, then the beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
- To cook the eggs, heat 5cm of the oil in a wide saucepan until a few breadcrumbs turn golden after 10 secs in the oil. Depending on the size of your pan, lower as many eggs as you can into the oil, and cook for 8-10 mins until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper, leave to cool a little, halve them and serve with your favourite sauce.