If you cheat, would you want your partner to know? Would you tell them yourself? Cheating happens for various reasons and it is something that can wreck a relationship if your partner finds out. Chances of being forgiven may vary depending on the strength of your relationship.
What happens when you want to tell your partner that you cheated? How do you go about it? If you want to tell them, here are a few tips:
1. Compose yourself – When you are preparing yourself to say something to your partner, especially of this magnitude, it’s best to compose yourself. Do not start pulling theatrics, crying and throwing tantrums. Sit, relax and say what you have to say first, the emotions will come later.
2. Do it as soon as possible – The moment you start postponing the dates you will not tell them. Immediately you make a decision to tell your partner about your infidelity, tell me there and then. The longer you take to tell them, the harder it becomes.
3. Say the truth – Speak the truth and nothing but the truth, don’t give excuses for your behavior, own up to it. Accept your mistakes and deal with the repercussions that come along.
4. Do it privately – The last thing you need to do is talk to your partner in private. Such a lengthy and in depth conversation should be done in private. At home or somewhere that the two of you won’t be interrupted. You don’t need everyone to see your partner fire up or you being apologetic in public.
5. Give them time to process – It’s not automatic that your partner will want to sit and listen to the whole conversation, so give them time to deal with the issue at hand. If they need space allow them to have it, to think about things at their own pace.