The clinic where June Wanza underwent a breast enlargement surgery has been asked to file a report with the medical board. Wanza died at the Nairobi Hospital last week due to complications caused by the botched operation.
June Wanza’s family said she underwent the surgery at Surgeoderm Health Care Limited, located on Theta Lane in Nairobi’s Kilimani area.
Surgeoderm is one of the leading plastic surgery clinics in Nairobi and its Facebook page says they also do Brazilian buttock lifts and hair transplant.
Owners of the clinic have been asked to explain their role in Wanza’s surgery. The report will be filed with the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board.
The clinic is associated with Professor Stanley Khainga, a leading plastic surgeon in the country.
Khainga contested the Lurambi parliamentary seat on the ODM ticket in the August 8 elections last year.
On Monday, Khainga told the Star he did not conduct the surgery but was only called in as a corrective surgeon at Nairobi Hospital where Wanza was admitted last week with fatal complications.
The 33-year-old mother of three children will be buried on Saturday.
Yesterday, the Star learnt the Nairobi Hospital had handed over their report to KMPDB.
KMPDB boss Daniel Yumbya said the family was yet to file an official complaint.
“But this is a matter of public interest so the board is doing its own investigations,” Yumbya said.
Wanza’s husband, Joseph Mulupi, said he was still grieving and did not wish to talk.
Khainga said wounds on Wanza’s body had turned gangrenous after the first surgery.
“It was gas gangrene which is an infection of soft tissues from bacteria on the skin. When it gets under the skin, it kills blood supply and eats the fat and whatever remains. If you don’t remove the dead skin then it spreads all over and you can’t control it,” he said.
Gangrene is a type of tissue death caused by not enough blood supply. Symptoms may include a change in skin color to red or black, numbness, swelling, pain, skin breakdown, and coolness. The feet and hands are most commonly involved. Certain types may present with a fever or sepsis.
Risk factors include diabetes, peripheral arterial disease, smoking, major trauma, alcoholism, HIV/AIDS, frostbite, and Raynaud’s syndrome. It can be classified as dry gangrene, wet gangrene, gas gangrene, internal gangrene, and necrotizing fasciitis.
Gas gangrene, also known as clostridial myonecrosis and myonecrosis is a bacterial infection that produces gas in tissues in gangrene. This deadly form of gangrene usually is caused by Clostridium perfringens bacteria. It is a medical emergency.
Myonecrosis is a condition of necrotic damage, specific to muscle tissue. It is often seen in infections with C. perfringens or any of myriad soil-borne anaerobic bacteria. Bacteria cause myonecrosis by specific exotoxins. These microorganisms are opportunistic and, in general, enter the body through significant skin breakage. Gangrenous infection by soil-borne bacteria was common in the combat injuries of soldiers well into the 20th century, because of nonsterile field surgery and the basic nature of care for severe projectile wounds.