Bill Gates has been named richest man in the world for the 16th time in the past 21years. According to Forbes, Gates fortune grew form $3.2 billion since last year to $79.2 billion despite him contributing $1.5billion in Microsoft shares to The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in November 2014.
Mexican telecommunications mogul Carlos Slim Helu comes in at number 2 with$77.1 billion, Warren Buffet at number 3 with $72.7 billion and Spanish founder of Zara owner Inditex, Amancio Ortega was at number 4 with $64.5 billion.
Warren Buffet was ranked the biggest gainer with his fortune growing from $14.5 billion to $72.7 billion. Nigerian Aliko Dangote is the biggest loser having dropped to $14.7 billion from $25 billion last year, he is still Africa’s richest man.
Here is the top 10 billionaires
1. Bill Gates – Microsoft co-founder, $79.2 bn
2. Carlos Slim Helu – Mexican telecoms mogul, $77.1bn
3. Warren Buffett – investor, $72.7bn
4. Amancio Ortega – Zara founder, $64.5bn
5. Larry Ellison – Oracle co-founder, $54.3bn
6. Charles Koch – American businessman across various industries, $42.9bn
6. David Koch – various, $42.9bn
8. Christy Walton – Walmart family, $41.7bn
9. Jim Walton – Walmart family, $40.6bn
10. Liliane Bettencourt – L’Oreal heiress, $40.1bn