Infidelity is one of the toughest things a spouse can try to overcome in a marriage, however marriage experts says it can also be the catalyst for positive change.
If both you and your partner want to take the necessary steps to heal from an affair, it won’t be a walk in the park, however it’s going to be a long road.
Here are 9 things the two of you can do together to possibly repair your relationship.
1. Be open and willing to accept forgiveness
2. Make a conscious decision to forgive your spouse
3. Think of a calming place or do something to distract yourself from dwelling on those thoughts, when images of the betrayal or hurt flash in your mind,
4. Stop yourself from throwing the affair in your spouse’s face whenever another problem arises to settle scores.
5. Accept that you may never know the reason for the affair.
6. Refrain from seeking revenge or trying to get even as your actions to revenge will only make your pain worse and doesn’t solve the transgression of your spouse.
7. Remember that forgiveness does not mean that you condone the hurtful behavior.
8. Be patient with yourself and don’t hurry the process of forgiving as it takes time.
9. See a psychologist to help you let go and forgive if you are still unable to forgive, or you find yourself dwelling on the betrayal or hurt.