Any woman who has ever been pregnant lives in fear of spotting blood, and I can attest to this having experienced bleeding.
First trimester bleeding
1. Implantation spotting occurs when a fertilized egg implants in the uterine wall 1 or 2 weeks aftter, and this bleeding is thought to be a light period.
2. Sub-chorionic bleeding happens when blood collects between the amniotic sac and the uterus.
3. Miscarriage I can attest to this horrible bleeding experience accompanied by cramping and low back pain around week 10 or 11.
4. Ectopic pregnancy this happens when fertilization occurs outside of the uterus and the egg implants in the walls of the fallopian tubes. Contact your obgyn immediately.
5. Molar pregnancy, this happens when a fertilized egg doesn’t develop into a fetus instead becoming an abnormal growth instead.
6. Cervical trauma or changes can cause bleeding after intimacy or a cervical examination.
8. Cervical polyps
Second/Third trimester bleeding
9. Placenta problems that can be explained in three ways below
a. Placenta previa is a condition in which the placenta completely or partially covers the cervix. The placenta also can lay low in the uterus close to the cervix. With placenta previa, the placenta can become exposed during labor, which is a danger to the fetus. Sometimes, even basic activity like exercise or intercourse can cause bleeding. The placenta can move position as the pregnancy advances, so placenta previa can resolve during pregnancy. If it doesn’t, the woman would need to be delivered by cesarean section.
b. Placenta abruption occurs when the placenta detaches or separates from the uterus. It can occur as a partial detachment or a complete detachment. A complete detachment is an emergent situation that threatens the pregnancy.
c. Vasa previa is relatively uncommon, but occurs when fetal blood vessels, such as those from the placenta or umbilical cord, present over the cervix.
10. Preterm labor occurs when dilation of the cervix begins early an an obgyn will taken action to stop labor until you reach full term.
11. Bloody show is a type of bleeding women in labor often experience. It usually has a mucous-like consistency and can range in color from red to brown.
Has this been of any help? Please remember to always see an expert to evaluate your condition and treat you. Good luck mums.